Assured Shorthold Tenancies and buying to let and landlord tips and advice - Landlords and Letting
Home Landlord Rent Guarantee & Legal Expenses Insurance Landlord Household Insurance Commercial Property Insurance Tenants Contents Insurance Owner Occupier Insurance UK Holiday Home and Airbnb Insurance Block and Portfolio Insurance Tenancy ReferencingCar, Van, Motorhome & Cycle Insurance Kuflink General Landlord Advice and Buy To Let Contact Us Privacy Policy
image of Landlords and letting logo.
Dealing with Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreements in the UK.

Assured Shorthold Tenancies (ASTs)

The Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) was originally introduced in 1988 and later amended in 1996. Along with the buy to let mortgage, it was a major factor in initiating the buy to let boom.

Unless there are otherwise good reasons you should always let residential property on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.

The Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement
Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreements (ASTs) are normally signed for either 12 months with or without a 6 month break clause, or 6 months. As far as the tenant is image of tenant signing an ASTconcerned, the granting of an AST guarantees them six months’ security of tenure except in exceptional cases where a judge may order that their behaviour has nullified the agreement.

Always ensure that both yourself and the tenant(s) sign the Tenancy Agreement and that the signatures are witnessed. It's a good idea for both you and the tenant to initial each page of the agreement. Give the tenant a copy of the agreement and retain a copy for yourself.

It's vital that any AST specifies that the tenant is responsible of paying the Council Tax, TV licence, water rates and gas and electricity bills.

Remember that where there is more than one tenant that ALL officially named tenants must sign the agreement and that they understand that they are joint and severally liable for the rent. This means that if there are say two tenants and one of them disappears the other is responsible for all of the rent.

Where do I get an AST from?
Be careful about this. There are ASTs available for free download over the internet but the old maxim usually applies that you get what you pay for.

The Solicitors' Law Stationery is a good source, The Residential Landlords' Association is another, or to be really sure you could download one from the government website. This link takes you to a PDF download that includes preliminary guidance about your responsibilities as a landlord etc plus general guidance.

 Insurance logos for Brit Insurance, AXA Insurance, Ageas Insurance, Legal & General Insurance, NIG Insurance

Insurances underwritten by AmTrust Europe, Ascot Syndicate, Commercial Express and HCC

Sureweb Ltd t/as Landlords and Letting is an introducer appointed representative of Alan Boswell Insurance Brokers Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered Office: Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich, NR1 1RE Registered in England No. 02591252